Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Thoughts on taking golf lessons

When it comes to giving golf lessons, as an instructor or coach, I have the easiest job of all.  I explain the information and give the drills for the student to improve upon their swing, but the student has to do all of the work.  I never take credit for the success of the student's improvement because they made the decision to change and hit all the balls.
Even the slightest change or adjustment can feel drastic.  Try this, cross your arms.  Now cross your arms the opposite way.  This isn't physically impossible, but we feel much more comfortable doing things the way we always have.
This is one of the reasons I enjoy golf.  It is an athletic activity I can enjoy as I get older and still try to improve.  Just like every aspect of life, if I'm willing to step out of my comfort zone I can see the positive results from the willingness to change.  Whether it's learning a new skill on the computer (would a blog be this simple to produce three years ago) or improving the flight of my golf ball, the results of change towards improvement is a deeply satifying reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment