Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What is more important in the golf swing - Style or Function

In college, I competed as a gymnast.  Our score depended on executing movements with style and grace.  As a gymnast, if my toes weren't pointed or my legs came apart while executing a manuever, it would be a deduction that would effect my final score.  When it comes to golf, the only score that counts is the total number of strokes.  So what we should focus on is moving the golf ball towards the hole as efficiently as possible.
 When A.J. Bonar was the director of golf at SDGA (now known as Golf Academy of Americas), he emphasized the need for us to help golfers understand how the golf club should move in the golf swing and the toe of the club rotating around the shaft.   In the attached video, Martin Hall has a great visual demonstration of this.  If you haven't seen Martin Hall on Tuesday nights on the Golf Channel, I highly recommend that you watch him.

No comments:

Post a Comment