Monday, February 6, 2012

Think Like a Kid and Learn to Really Live as an Adult

In about an hour and a half this week, I received the three best introduction to golf lessons I have ever received since becoming a golf professional.  Not because I learned great technique, but because they were "introduction to life" lessons.

I've been a gymnast and a golfer and have taught both.  I chose golf as a profession because it truly is a game for a lifetime.  And whether I am teaching adults or children, the importance is making learning fun.  Adults have jobs so they don't want to "work" at their games.  Kids just want to play.  In fact, adults should just want to play.  Funny how that when a lot of instructors work with a student, they act as if they're working with the next Olympic gold medalist or the next Nicklaus.  Especially with children and the expectation has been placed on a lot of children to focus on one sport only to become great. 

Numerous golfers on the men's and women's professional tours were multiple sport athletes.  One that comes to mind is Gary Woodland who went to college on a basketball scholarship, but changed to attend the University of Kansas on a golf scholarship and is now enjoying a great career on the PGA Tour.  The great thing about playing multiple sports is that athletic motion translates to other sports whether a child starts out as a gymnast, a basketball player, or just playing games in the playground.  Which leads to my first 30 minute golf lesson over the phone.  

Kate Tempesta runs a great program in the concrete jungle of Manhattan.  Not the normal place you'd expect to find a thriving junior golf program.  Kate breaks the traditional mode when it comes to golf instruction by giving golf lessons in hallways, gymnasiums and even rooftops.  And most importantly, with me she stressed the importance of young children learning motion and target awareness in a way that children could relate to.  Kate taught me the importance of playing games with the kids and using different fun activities to teach them how to move athletically instead of giving traditional "how-to" golf tips.  In the midst of our conversation the epiphany came and I responded by saying, "So what you're telling me is that I have to quit thinking like a golf pro!"  This was definitely one of those moments in life where the orchestra should have started playing and the heavens were revealed.  A few days later, I found myself walking through Toys 'R' Us looking for new ways to play games instead of "teaching" golf.

My second lesson came about 24 hours later, when I received a call from Rick Grayson.  Rick is the 2012 PGA Junior Leader of the year so imagine my surprise when I sent an email to the website asking about resources for growing a junior program and received a phone call response.  For at least 30 minutes Rick talked and I wrote down notes.  As the conversation continued, Rick became much more excited and I learned my second lesson for the week.  It's much easier to be successful when you're passionate about what your doing.  And the  truly successful people in life become that way because they gain from giving of themselves freely and asking nothing in return.  Just the way he's been giving to kids for years.

Two days later I checked the mailbox where I found my third lesson.  Nicole Weller's book "Stick to Sports , Let's Play Golf" was waiting for me and the final piece of the puzzle of my new awakening had arrived.  Stick to Sports, Let's Play Golf at first glance appears to be a kids book.  With each new page, it becomes a great book that families can enjoy together.  This book is the definitive primer for beginners on how to learn the game covering everything a new golfer needs to know about golf from etiquette, understanding golf clubs, how to play a hole and how to "play" the game.  I plan on making it required reading for all of my golf shop staff and the outside services department.  In fact, I take back what I said about it not being a kids book.  It is a kids book for kids from 2 to 102.  

If we started teaching all our beginner "kids" from 2 to 102 the way that Kate, Rick and Nicole are doing; we wouldn't have so many new golfers quitting the game (80% of new golfers quit the game within two years after they start).  Games should be fun and games are meant to be played like a child.

It's amazing that in four short days that I unlearned everything that I thought I knew about golf instruction and had to relearn what I already knew.  Whether it's the staff that works for me or the customers that I serve, my favorites are always the youth.  Thanks for the wake up call guys.  

What Kate, Rick and Nicole share in common is the single most important quality that defines character: LOVE.  For these lessons and their friendship, I owe them a lot and there's only one way that I know that I can repay them.  By spreading that love with as many kids as possible wherever & whatever I do.  Hope I don't let them down.

1 comment:

  1. These are some awesome insights, Wayne. We could all benefit from learning to have a little more fun , both in golf and in life. I've played golf in Vegas for several years now while travelling there for my business. This post makes me think about how I'd like to share the game with kids- in a fun way.

    ReplyDelete