Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Learned More than Just How to Dance at Sunset Coast Ballroom Dance

Last night I went to a ballroom dance class.  It was great fun and the teachers gave great direction.  As I entered the room, my alter ego "The Asian Sensation" took over.  Well the Asian Sensation might be pretty good at Karaoke and even better giving a golf lesson, ballroom dancing was quite the challenge.  And to top it off, we learned the Quick Step, a somewhat advanced maneuver.  Fortunately I found more experienced partners and these ladies did most of the leading.  Hope I don't lose my man card.


As I was learning these new steps, I started to fall into the shoes of the students I teach golf to.  Was I making the right moves?  I hope I don't look stupid?  I hope no one's looking.  I started to understand how they felt.  When they take golf lessons, they are way out of their comfort zones and wanting to do things perfectly every time.  I know when I teach, I don't ask them to do anything they are not physically capable of.  And neither were these dance instructors.


Fortunately, they walked the class through the steps required to do the Quick Step several times over in the same way I've learned to have students do swing drills over and over.   They then said, now go home and practice.  Problem is, I've already forgotten the steps a day later.  I make YouTube videos with the intention of giving my golfing students a tool that helps them remember what they learned even though a lesson took place weeks or even months earlier.  I think I'll ask them to make a video or two, so that the Asian Sensation can be a sensation on the dance floor.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha. Take a video camera with you and video the moves. Really helps. My wife and I used to teach swing dancing and have traveled across the country dancing and teaching in our younger days. I like swing dancing over ballroom dancing but it is all good and fun. Check out our website with a few of the folks we have danced with. terryandann.com Stay with it Gooch...and take your own video camera. ~T

    ReplyDelete