Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Golf Pro and the Salesman

Here’s a thought that a lot my contemporaries would probably be in agreement with.  When you have the title of golf professional, it’s one of the best occupations in the world because we get paid to do something that we’d probably do for free.  We get to hang around a golf facility all day, talk about our favorite subject at work and have a career that truly blends passion with our vocation so the desire for learning and growth never stops.

When I think about it, not many other athletic activities (and careers) would allow me to have the word professional in my title without playing the game for a living.  It’s a title that my own mother and father beam with joy as they introduce me as their son “who is a golf pro in Michigan.”
In fact, having the title always opens the door for many conversations.  In my own backyard, having the title helps earn me respect as a leader in the community which makes it much easier for me to meet others.   I’m fortunate to live in a community where it’s easy to get out and meet others.  There’s always an activity going on around town whether it’s put on by the local chamber, one of the various tourist councils or just by friends on a facebook page.  If I want to make new business connections, all I have to do is get out of the house.

When I worked in outside sales we said gaining new contacts was like going to a dance.  All I wanted to do was dance, so I’d ask every girl in the room until one said yes.  Sometimes, there would be a girl there with her boyfriend, but she’d offer that she couldn’t dance, but she would introduce her friend who would like to dance.  

It works the same way when I’m looking for a new golf student or trying to get new golfers to try out our course.  In fact, it even works for any business.  Just get out and meet people, learn about them, and eventually you’ll find someone who’s been looking for you service or they might introduce you to someone.  
They say that the best way to get new contacts and clients is by word of mouth.  And whether it’s live, or by social media or in traditional media, the most important voice that needs to spread the word of mouth is ourselves.

As the saying goes, were all in sales.  And just like a young man asking a girl out on a date, when we ask the product were always selling is ourselves.

4 comments: