Sunday, January 12, 2014

Words of Wisdom from Sam Berns

Sam Berns - 10/23/96 - 1/10/2014
  “Life is a preparation for the future;
and the best preparation for the future is to live as if there were none.” 
― Albert Einstein

What sounds like four simple rules for life becomes a powerful message when you consider that these are the words of Sam Berns, a 17 year old high school senior who just passed away two days ago as the result of the disease Progeria.  Progeria is an accelerated aging disease in which the average life span is about 13 years.

I first became aware of Progeria when I met a young boy named Cam in our community.  Cam's family lives each day to the fullest and if Cam plays like any other six year old.  What has touched my life is how the families of Sam and Cam live their lives in the way that Einstein describes.  These families have brought new meaning to the word urgency when it comes to living life.   It gives an awareness to me that every day is precious and to maximize the use of my time to focus on "what I can do".  A great lesson that we can all learn from.

In fact, Sam was planning on going to college to become a scientist and Robert Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots, had planned on having Sam be an honorary Captain for the Patriots playoff game versus the Colts.  Sadly, Sam passed the night before.

Sam has left his legacy through an HBO documentary, Life According to Sam.  If you get a chance to see it, it's a don't miss.  I do recommend you keep a box of tissues close by.

To see an inspirational talk from Sam:  Sam Berns at TEDx Atlantic

To learn more about Progeria:  Progeria Research Foundation
                                              Cameron      


1 comment:

  1. That a great blog and I am learning more and more about golf. Last month I tried a hypnosis from http://mybestgolfbuddy.com and It really improved my golf playing skills

    ReplyDelete